What is IGCSE?
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is an English language-based academic qualification for secondary school students. It is the most popular international qualification for 14 to 16 year olds. Students typically start the IGCSE syllabus in Year 10 and take the final examination at the end of Year 11.
Who takes IGCSE courses?
The IGCSE is designed for students aged 14-16, in Years 10-11. The IGCSE typically precedes the IB Diploma or A-Levels. The IGCSE is recognized as the international equivalent to the GCSE qualification taken in England, so those taking IGCSEs are usually students outside of the UK.
What IGCSE subjects are there?
The IGCSE is based on individual subjects, meaning the student receives an IGCSE qualification for each subject taken. Typical “core” subjects include a First Language, Foreign Language, Mathematics, and one or more Science subjects. Typically, students choose an additional 3-6 more subjects offered across the following groups:
- Group I: Languages
- Group II: Humanities and Social Sciences
- Group III: Sciences
- Group IV: Mathematics
- Group V: Creative, Technical and Vocational
The test is offered by different exam boards, including the Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE), Edexcel, and OxfordAQA. While some course content and structure may vary across different exam boards, examinations taken under any of these exam boards yield the same IGCSE qualifications.
What schools offer IGCSE in Hong Kong?
Since the IGCSE is the international equivalent of the GCSE in England, the IGCSE is typically, but not always followed by the UK GCE A-Level examinations in Years 12 and 13. After the IGCSE, many international schools in Hong Kong offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB DP) in Years 12 and 13.
International schools in Hong Kong currently offering IGCSE are:
- California School
- Discovery Bay International
- ESF Island School, King George V School, Sha Tin College, South Island School, West Island School
- French International School Blue Pool Road
- German Swiss International School
- Han Academy
- Harrow International School
- International College Hong Kong Secondary
- Kellett School
- Kent College Hong Kong
- Kiangsu-Chekiang College, International Section
- Korean International School
- Nord Anglia International School
- Po Leung Kuk Choi Kai Yau
- Sear Rogers International School
- Singapore International School Hong Kong
- St Paul’s Convent School (Secondary)
- St Paul’s College
- Think Academy
- Yew Chung International School
- YMCA of HK Christian College
At Aegis Advisors, we offer private tutoring for a huge range of IGCSE subjects to help our students get their optimum grades. We can also do online tutoring so our students can learn effectively, wherever they are.
Get in touch today to see how we can help!